Today I have author Amanda Forester on my blog doing a guest post and giveaway. If you missed my review of her book you can click here to read it. I enjoyed it very much so I'm very excited to have Amanda on my blog today.
The Endless Inspiration of Medieval Scotland
by Amanda Forester
Medieval Scotland combines so many interesting aspects of history, custom, and culture, it is incredibly fun to write. Where else can you find arranged marriages, fierce warriors, clan rivalry, political intrigue, warfare, secret lovers, and yes, kilts!
True Highland Spirit, which released last week, is a great example of how the historical backdrop can play such an important role. Set in 1355, Morrigan McNab is not your typical laird's daughter. She learned to survive with a sword in her hand and raids neighboring clans to help feed her own. She meets Sir Dragonet a French knight who has come with a company of French soldiers to encourage the Scots wage war against the English. Soon she is not only caught up in a disastrous war but also in a race against Dragonet to find a secret Templar treasure before it can fall into the wrong hands.
So True Highland Spirit combines a feisty Highland lass, a French knight, a failed war, clan rivalry, treasure hunting, religious intrigue, great medieval costumes, sexy accents - where else but Medieval Scotland can you get all that?
So here are my Top Ten reasons why Medieval Scotland provides endless inspiration for romance:
11. The chivalrous knight in shining armor is not some unattainable ideal, but a reality. And yes, I'm sure all the armor was shining and every knight was gorgeous!
22. The political intrigue of the times - the frequent wars between Scotland and England along with the constant clan rivalry in Scotland provides the perfect backdrop for star-crossed lovers.
33. The accent - I love to hear it in my head - so sexy!
44. The importance of church and faith, which not only makes for areas of personal growth, abut also conflict with Church officials who do not always act as they should.
55. Romance is idealized, but marriages are still typically arranged, providing for many a plot twist.
66. Color and pageantry of the times, including banners, heraldry, tapestries, and the beautiful flowing gowns of velvet or silk.
77. Even warfare was fanciful with broad swords, jousting lances, maces, crossbows, etc.
88. Highland warriors make great heroes - fierce, independent, and honorable.
99. Highland lasses who are equally fierce, independent, and honorable!
110. Kilts! Need I say more?
Do you enjoy Scottish romances? Why do you think they are so popular? Comment on this blog with why you enjoy Scottish romance novels for a chance to win a print copy of True Highland Spirit!
1. Leave your email with your comment so we can contact you if you win.
2. You must be 18 years or older to enter.
3. Giveaway ends on 3/26.
4. Giveaway is only open to US and Canada.