Friday, November 9, 2012

Interview: Author Sharon Hamilton

I am very excited today to have Sharon Hamilton on my blog for a interview. I recently read and reviewed her book "Honeymoon Bite" and I had to have her on the blog. So let's give Sharon a big welcome to Romance Book Junkies.


I know you get asked this question over and over but can you tell us a little about yourself? Maybe something juicy. ;)

I’ve had two successful careers prior to becoming a writer. One in real estate and one in sales and marketing. I enjoy organic gardening, and get orgasmic at farmer’s markets. Also playing in my garden. Getting muddy is the new chocolate for me. Okay, so something not everyone would know – I think I conceived one of my kids in the garden…it was a good day.


When did you first start writing? Are you a full time author or do you do it on the side?

I write full time now.

Do you have a author that has really inspired you?

Tina Folsom. She’s a great friend and probably the best writer-businesswoman on the planet. Not only do I enjoy her books, I enjoy her friendship and learn every time I’m around her. Very not impressed with herself, as some big time authors can be.

How long does it normally take you to write an average book or your last book?

Depends. I have done it (don’t recommend it though) in 30 days. Usually 4-6 months, sometimes less. The rough draft is fast. Editing takes me almost as long as writing it the first time.

What do you think makes a story great?

Characters we care about. I love to torture them. Put them together and then tear them apart. I want their “perfect union” to be in jeopardy.

Can you describe your book "Honeymoon Bite" in one sentence?

Two lovers find each other after centuries, just in time to save their lives, and their love.

Can you tell is more about “Honeymoon Bite” and the series?

I have started the world of the Golden Vampires of Tuscany. These are a breed of vampire who can live in the daylight, do everything dark vamps can, but can more or less live as humans. And they are human (mortal) until they accept their changing, which is done after puberty. It is an individual decision each must make for themselves.

My hero, Marcus Monteleone, is from a large family. All his brothers and sisters elected to become vampire, yet his parents decided to stay mortal, and have died as mortal humans 300 years ago. Marucs has one brother who has regretted his decision, which becomes part of the subplot.
More will be revealed in the next book, Mortal Bite, which I am finishing now. I will go into the origins of their race, with a few surprises in store for the reader.

Have you done lots of research for your books or do the stories just come to you?

The stories come to me first, then I do the research. I can get lost in a library. I can spend all my time researching and no time writing if I’m not careful.

What are you currently working on?

Mortal Bite, which is Book 2 of the Golden Vampires of Tuscany. It is Paolo’s story. He is Marcus Monteleone’s brother, who has a fondness for mortal women and has watched as three wives have died in his arms. I have that they can only breed with a fated female, and his fated female is someone he rejected, and then she was killed. But he has a son he is learning to raise. He meets a professor of myth and mythology, an expert on vampire lore, and the romance starts from there. She doesn’t believe in vampires. And, of course, he plays along for awhile…

Is there anything that I didn't cover that you would like to talk about or say to your potential readers?

I love vampire romances and have read many. What I wanted to do was create a variation that would be unusual, but would be using some of the best things I liked from the traditional vampire stories, plus adding a few of my own. This new species of Golden Vampire are considered rare, and because I have changed the “rules” of their world, they can live more invisibly in the human world, aren’t confined to coffins and night. I also wanted to explore their history and their immortality, make their children vulnerable and so important to them.


Just for fun:
Hardback or Paperback?  PAPERBACK
Dog ears or Bookmarks?  BOOKMARKS
YA novels or Adult novels?  ADULT ALL THE WAY, AND HOT
Library or Bookstore?  OOH,  TOUGH CHOICE. HAVE TO SAY BOOKSTORE.
Reading glasses or No glasses?  READERS, 3+. OCCUPANTIONAL HAZARD.
Snack while reading or No snacks?  DECAF CAPPUCCINO, GREEN TEA, WATER. NO SNACKS NOW (DIET CHANGE)
Beach or Mountain?  BEACH
Vampire or Werewolf?  DO YOU EVEN HAVE TO ASK? VAMP.
Hot or Flirty?  HOT AFTER FLIRTY. CAN I HAVE BOTH?
Movie 1st or Book 1st?  BOOK FIRST.
Contemporary or Historical?  CONTEMPORARY WITH SOME HISTORICAL ELEMENTS.
Page-Turner or Tear Jerker? I THINK A GOOD BOOK SHOULD HAVE BOTH.

Contact Sharon:
Accidental SEAL   SEAL Encounter    all available through Amazon



2 comments:

Arletta Dawdy said...

A nice and revealing interview, Sharon and Danielle. Helped me distinguish how your vamps are so different in that I don't read the traditional ones. I'll read whatever Sharon writes!

Sharon Hamilton said...

Thanks, Arletta. Appreciate that so much. I kind of fall in love with them, too.

Post a Comment

Each of my followers mean the world to me and I would love to hear from each and every one of you.
:)

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Estranged kit by Studio Flergs