Friday, July 15, 2011

Review: "The Cold Kiss of Death" by Suzanne McLeod

"The Cold Kiss of Death"
by: Suzanne McLeod
Series: Spellcrackers Series #2
Genre: Fantasy, Urban Fantasy
Pages: 352
Published: July 2009 by Gollancz
 
Goodreads Blurb: 
All Genny wants is to live the quiet life and to do her job at Spellcrackers.com but there's her tangled personal life to sort out first. She's being haunted by ghosts who want her help. Her witch neighbours want her evicted. Genny's sort-of-Ex - and now her new boss - can't decide whether he wants their relationship to be business or pleasure now he knows all her darkest secrets. And then there's the queue of vampires all wanting her to paint the town red - how long will it be before they stop taking 'no' for an answer and Genny's life becomes even more complicated? But when one of her human friends is murdered by sidhe magic, Genny is determined to find the killer. Her efforts to find the real murderer lead her to some of the most dangerous and seductive fae - but her search is hindered by the vampires, who have their own political agenda. Then when all the evidence points to Genny - she's the only sidhe fae in London - and she's named the main suspect; it's not long before she's on the run - and not just from the police - but from some of London's most powerful supernaturals.
 
Darcy's Review:
This is a tough book for me.  With the first one I liked the premise but it didn't follow through for me.  The large cast of characters made it hard to keep them all straight.  So this book was going to be a make or break book for me in the series as I was hoping my issues with the first book was just first book syndrome.  I am sad to say that didn't happen, while I did finish the book it was tough to do so because I ran into the same issues.  I started out reading the book in 50 page chunks, but that was too much so I moved to 25 page chunks and took me 3 days to read, which for me is a long time.

What I did like about this book was that we learned more about Gen and just why everyone and their brother was after her, which turned out to be a very creepy reason why.  It seemed like you couldn't trust what your eyes saw with anyone in this book, including Gen.  Because of these facts Gen really couldn't trust what anyone said to her, they all seemed to have their own agenda, even those she trusted in the past.

It looks like Gen will get a short reprieve on what was behind everything in this book, but you just know that it won't be long enough and that she has some work ahead of her to make all of her problems go away.


 Overall rating: 

Sex rating:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Each of my followers mean the world to me and I would love to hear from each and every one of you.
:)

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Estranged kit by Studio Flergs