Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Book Tour: "Dead to Right" by Cate Masters

Today I have Cate Masters on my blog doing a guest post about writing across genres. She will also be talking about her new book "Dead to Rights". So lets give her a warm welcome to the Romance Book Junkies.


Writing Across Genres

I’m not a fan of labels. At all. So I don’t think about genre when I write. All that matters to me is telling a compelling story with engaging characters readers will care about.

My stories span a range of genres, from historical to contemporary and fantasy/paranormal to mainstream. Romances can be sweet to erotic, or no romance at all.

Dead to Rights is difficult for me to label. Though there’s some romantic tension between the hero and heroine, it’s not a romance. Is it an urban fantasy, or a dark paranormal? I’m never quite sure of the distinction between the two, but the novel does contain some violence and language, so the heat level’s bumped up because of that.

Is it the first in a series? The ending certainly left that option open. I’d love to follow up with more stories about these characters, or perhaps interrelated stories about other warrior angels. Zeke, who appeared at the end, was a surprise to even me, and immediately fascinated me. He’s better known as Ezekiel, but his brief presence felt very palpable to me.

What attracts you to a book? Does genre matter to you? If you read an interesting blurb outside a genre you normally read, will you try the book?


Blurb:
Identity theft sucks. But it’s worse when someone steals your life—body included. All memory of her life before waking up in a mental facility has vanished. Or was erased. Now she has to figure out how to get it all back….
Her only hope of learning the truth lies with one man. Problem is, he’s the leader of a cult. Her only choice is to follow him into his sordid world, where a darker evil lurks.
With a little help from an archangel hellbent on revenge, she may have a chance to learn the truth. But will it force her to make the hardest decision of her life…or death?

I’d love for you to check out the Casting Call (who I imagined in these roles) and more at: http://catemasters.blogspot.com/2009/06/dead-to-rights-contemporary-paranormal.html

Thanks so much for having me at Romance Book Junkies today! It’s been a pleasure.

Book video:



Cate Masters loves stories with a dash of magic, mayhem and romance! Multipublished in contemporary to historical, sweet to erotic, fantasy/dark fantasy to speculative, she sometimes mashes genres. When not spending time with her family, she can be found in her lair, concocting a magical brew of contemporary, historical, and fantasy/paranormal stories with her cat Chairman Maiow and dog Lily as company. Look for her at http://catemasters.blogspot.com , Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cate-Masters/89969413736?ref=ts and in strange nooks and far-flung corners of the web.

9 comments:

Cate Masters said...

Thanks again for having me at your cool site! And for allowing me to feature Dead to Rights.

TK Anthony + www.scotianrealm.com said...

Loved your casting call! I agree, Cate--to me, genres are a way of sorting books on shelves so they don't all end up in one big pile on the floor. They're not what I think about when I start to write. And I read so many genres, and crosses thereof, that for me, the only genre that counts is "really good read"--a good fit for "Dead to Rights"!

Cate Masters said...

Thanks for checking out the Casting Call, TK! I love putting those together.
And thanks for the kind words! Much appreciated.

Jessica E. Subject said...

A great post, Cate! There are some subgenres of romance that I normally don't read, but I will pick up any book that has an attention-grabbing cover, and an interesting blurb.

All the best!
~Jessica

Cate Masters said...

I'm the same way, Jessica. I just love a great story, period. :) Thanks!

Arlene said...

I love this story. It's on my re-read as soon as possible list.

Cate Masters said...

A high compliment, coming from you, Arlene. Thanks so much for your support!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I remember the days when agents said you had to be able to label your book and it had to fit into a specific genre. We've come a long way.

Cate Masters said...

And I love it, Susan. :) There are so many amazing books out there now that defy neat categorization, but who cares? They're great reads.

Post a Comment

Each of my followers mean the world to me and I would love to hear from each and every one of you.
:)

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Estranged kit by Studio Flergs