Monday, December 13, 2010

I have a special guest today! The Book Vixen

Today I have The Book Vixen here to do a fun interview about herself and her reading habits/preferences.
She has a blog called The Book Vixen and it is one of my favorites so if you haven't checked her blog out yet you need to head over there. (after the interview of course) =)

The Book Vixen

1. Tell us a little about yourself. Anything interesting we should know about? Maybe something juicy?
I'm an only child, a chocoholic, lover of all things frog and I recently quit my job of 13 years to be a stay at home mom. Interesting facts: 
I do not drink alcohol (never have, never will and no, it's not a religious thing), I don't like coffee (I can't even stand the smell) and I've never had the chicken pox. Sorry, nothing 'juicy' to report :)

2. How long have you been reading? When did you start? When did you officially become addicted?
Reading for fun? Since I was about 22 years old (I'm 31 now). It started with the Harry Potter series. I officially became addicted when I read the Twilight Saga last year. I was in the biggest slump ever after I finished reading Breaking Dawn. All I could think about was Bella and Edward. Then I discovered Sookie Stackhouse and was finally able to move on.

3.What genre did you start reading first? Or have you always read romance novels?
I started off reading mystery and suspense. 
I didn't always read romance novels. When I used to hear 'romance' I thought I'd never read the stuff. Fabio always came to mind. I thought romance novels were cheesy. And now? Well now you can call me Ms. Velveeta ;) 

4. What are your favorite genres now?
Contemporary romance, paranormal romance, romantic suspense and YA (with coming of age and/or romance elements).

5. Is there any genres you don't like? Why?
Horror and non-fiction are a couple. I don't like watching horror flicks and I don't like reading it either. Non-fiction is an escape for me (we read to escape, right?). Rarely will I read non-fiction; I might read a memoir if it's about a person I like. But other than that I stay away from it.

6. If you had to guess how many books you have read in your lifetime how many would it be?
I'm not sure but less than 500. That seems so little, doesn't it? I read only 46 books in 2009 and I'm currently at 75 for 2010. My goal was to read 100 books this year but I'm not going to make it. I hope to read 100 books in 2011.

7. How long does it usually take you to read an average book?
Average, about 2-3 days. It can take me anywhere from less than 24 hours to a week to read a book. It just depends on the book and life.

8. What is your review style? Any formulas? :)
I explain (1) why I read the book, (2) what I liked about the book, (3) what I didn't like about the book and (4) give my overall impression of the book. I don't summarize the book because I'm afraid of giving too much away but I do include a blurb (usually from Goodreads). 

9. Do you tend to judge a book by it's cover?
As much as I shouldn't, I do. It goes both ways though. There have been many a book that have a fabulous cover but the blurb doesn't grab me. It's a shame to let those books go. 

10. What are you reading now?
Unraveled by Gena Showalter

This or That

Hardback or Paperback? 
Paperback. Trade paperback.
Dog ears or Bookmarks? 
 Bookmarks.

YA novels or Adult novels? 
 Both.

Library or Bookstore? 
 Both.

Reading glasses or No glasses? 
 No glasses.

Snack while reading or No snacks? 
 Snacks (chocolate).

Beach or Mountain? 
 Beach.

Vampire or Werewolf? 
 Werewolf.

Hot or Flirty? 
 Both.

Movie 1st or Book 1st? 
 Book 1st.

Contemporary or Historical? 
 Contemporary. Definitely contemporary.

Page-Turner or Tear Jerker? 
 Both.
 
I'd like to take the time to thank The Book Vixen for taking time out of her busy schedule to participate in my interview. She has some great challenges planned for 2011 so head over to her blog and sign up. =)

17 comments:

SusanKMann said...

What a great interview, you sound like me. I hate coffee too, it's disgusting and I've never had chicken pox LOL

Chrystal said...

Great interview! :) I snack with chocolate while I read too.

Anonymous said...

Why don't I catch these typos before I send off my answers?

Question #5 - I should have said 'fiction is an escape for me', not 'non-fiction'.

*facepalm*

Anonymous said...

SusanKMann - yay for fellower coffee haters! LOL And no chicken pox for you either? No shingles for us! *knocks on wood*

Chrystal - chocolate and reading go hand in hand, don't they? :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having me over Danielle!

Blodeuedd said...

Greta answers and I am with you about the snacks ;)

Carol L. said...

Great interview. I already follow Book Vixen.
I enjoyed the interview. Thanks.
Carol L
Lucky4750@aol.com

Jackie said...

The only thing I differ with is on snacks, I may drink a glass of tea or soda but try not to eat when reading so my books do not end up accidentally "eating" along with me.....(I am kind of messy)

Coffee, hate it and my husband loves it so thank goodness I am not the only one that feels that way!!

Can't you give a historical a try now and then B?


jackie >_<

Jennifer Lane said...

Thanks for the interview! It was interesting to hear what got you hooked on books and how you review them.

Anonymous said...

great interview, this is a fun blog for booklovers

Jeremy said...

@ Book Vixen, Thanks for stopping by and participating. =)

Unknown said...

Nice to meet you, Book Vixen!

Mysti Holiday said...

Great interview... I can't imagine not liking coffee, but otherwise you seem like a pretty normal person. ;-)

Unknown said...

What a neat idea to interview another book blogger. Merry Christmas :)

Anonymous said...

Mysti Holiday - Oh, I'm not normal. Me not liking coffee is just one example of my non-normalness :)

Nat said...

I enjoyed this post! I'm with you on liking genres you never expected to and judging a book by its cover. It's impossible not to!

Krysta said...

What a great interview! Nice getting to know you Book Vixen. I hate plain coffee, but I can stand it as long as it has some kind of sweetener in it. I agree with you about fiction being an escape. That's why I love reading so much because it allows me to escape from reality.

Post a Comment

Each of my followers mean the world to me and I would love to hear from each and every one of you.
:)

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Estranged kit by Studio Flergs