Monday, August 20, 2012

Interview: "Mistress of Passion" by Harley De Luca

I have Harley De Luca here today at Romance Book Junkies on a stop on her book tour for "Mistress of Passion". So lets give Harley a big welcome.

I know you get asked this question over and over but can you tell us a little about yourself? Maybe something juicy. ;) 

Hmm well let’s see, I am a 29 year old who has been a cosmetologist for the last 11 years. Writing has been my escape from my own reality for the past couple of years. At first it started out as just something fun to do but now it helps me express what is actually going on in my head. WAY cheaper than seeing a therapist! LOL! Mistress of Passion is my first ever release to the public and I would be lying if I said I wasn’t scared shitless and nervous as hell about it. Only a selected few have read any of my work, but now, to let the whole world see how I write is amazing and also scary at the same time. JR Ward is my all time favourite author and Idol. And I secretly (in my own head) have visions of Vishious (Lover Unbound character) being my “Hellren”!

P.s. Brandon Watson from Black Gold is another man I swoon over! Hot damn! That man is fine as hell.

When did you first start writing? Are you a full time author or do you do it on the side?

 I first started writing a few years ago in a book group on Shelfari. It was actually pretty fun to see everyone’s creativity come to life in the group. The admins gave us certain guidelines we had to follow and we took it from there. Now to see how a couple of us have evolved into actual published authors is nothing short of amazing. I am not a full time author as of yet but I am working my way up to that status! Hopefully I will be full time in the next few years though!!


Do you have a author that has really inspired you? 

JR Ward is my ultimate idol. I love her writing style, her imagination and the way she wraps her readers into her world of everything awesome! 

How long does it normally take you to write an average book or your last book?

Well this last story that will be out August 4th took me about a year. There has been a lot of transition in my personal life that it has put my writing on the back burner. Well not anymore everybody! LOL. Here soon I will be hopefully finishing up another story that will hopefully knock everyone’s socks off! But really you can’t put an exact time frame on when you will be finished with the book, sure you have deadlines but sometimes the story is just never finished.

What do you think makes a story great?

Imagination, plot, developed characters and an open mind.

Can you describe your book "Mistress of Passion" in one sentence?

Mistress of Passion is a steamy, hot erotica that will set fire to your kindles.

Have you done lots of research for your books or do the stories just come to you?

OMG I have done so much research for this story and all my other ones that have yet to be finished. Research is a HUGE part of mu writing. I will come up with some crazy shit to put into the story but it usually doesn’t end up in it due to research. I have to make sure it flows right and make it somewhat believable to be able to be added.

What are you currently working on?

I am currently working on about nine different pieces. Right now I’m trying to figure out how to turn one of my short stories into my actual novel. THAT is hard as hell, trying to incorporate two different worlds and putting it into one is NOT an easy task. BUT I am on my way to making it work!

Can you tell us about some of your prior achievements?

In the literary world I don’t have any major achievements yet except getting my first story published. I also have a couple of poems in the Hot Ink anthology Bella Morte.

Is there anything that I didn't cover that you would like to talk about or say to your potential readers?

Just some words of advice: everyone has an imagination. Some may be mild and others may be way off the wall. But either way put your imaginations to work, you never know who would want to see what kind of fantasy world we all dwell in when others aren’t around!


Just for fun:
Hardback or Paperback?  Paper back all the way.
Dog ears or Bookmarks? Bookmarks! No marring of any kind to the books!! :P
YA novels or Adult novels? Both are good but adult novels for me please!!
Library or Bookstore? Bookstore! I need to have my books in hand. I have a kindle but I hardly ever use it.
Reading glasses or No glasses? I am supposed to wear regular glasses but I’m not so much into looking like a naughty librarian...all the time!!  ;)
Snack while reading or No snacks? I’m usually too engrossed in the story to worry about eating anything. I even postpone cooking dinner just so I can finish the chapter.
Beach or Mountain? I have lived where I had the pleasures of both. I am a cancer so naturally the crab gravitates to water. It is soothing to just sit on the beach and just listen to the wave’s crash on to the shore.
Vampire or Werewolf?  Vampire!!! They are way more passionate than a werewolf. Plus not as hairy!
Hot or Flirty? Flirty is really hot! LOL :p
Movie 1st or Book 1st?  Book first. Just so I can see how disappointing Hollywood can be.
Contemporary or Historical? I love them both but I am gonna have to say Historical.
Page-Turner or Tear Jerker? Dear God please give me a page turner! There are too many tears with real life I don’t need them in my fantasy life as well!!


 
In the realm of all things sexual, Rachel used her sexuality as a form of escape. She desperately tried to avoid her past to manipulate her future by delving into the dark recesses of all things kinky. With a fearful past, she turned her hurt, rage, confusion and unexplained passion into nothing but pure pleasure.  Being a Mistress came naturally for Rachel, she was good at being a Dom. Only one challenge stood in her way, would she able to accept her life the way it was now or was she secretly yearning for something more?
Dominic was your all around “grade-A” male. Had the job, the money, the title, but didn’t have the will to live, not until he walked into London Leather. Like most of the rich and famous he needed the escape of normality, needed to be reminded of who he was when he was stripped of everything. He had been stripped before but not like this. Would he be able to withstand all he was about to receive or would he have to resort back to his old ways and just pray for death?

 
With so many books to read and so many stories to write there is hardly enough time in the day to make up the perfect balance to get both accomplished! As she finished her first story for Hot Ink Press she felt victorious. She has been writing for fun-and for expression, for the past couple of years, but to now finally have something that will be produced for the whole world to read and enjoy is more than a goal she had set for herself-it was a MAJOR accomplishment.
Even though "life" had gotten in the way of her writing, she has recently come back to it so she can give her fans an excitement of pleasure they just can't put down. Now residing in Kansas City, she strives to top herself with each story she writes. Practice makes perfect is one of her mottos and one that she values only to make her next story better than the last.



2 comments:

Patricia Eimer said...

sounds like a great book.

Harley De Luca said...

Thank you Patricia! Everyone who has read it gave it a really high rating and recommendation.

Post a Comment

Each of my followers mean the world to me and I would love to hear from each and every one of you.
:)

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Estranged kit by Studio Flergs