Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Review: "Succubus Blues"

Author: Richelle Mead
Series: Georgina Kincaid #1
Published: March 1, 2007
Genre: Adult Urban Fantasy
Pages: 375

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Goodreads Blurb:
Succubus (n.) An alluring, shape-shifting demon who seduces and pleasures mortal men. Pathetic (adj.) A succubus with great shoes and no social life. See: Georgina Kincaid. When it comes to jobs in hell, being a succubus seems pretty glamorous. A girl can be anything she wants, the wardrobe is killer, and mortal men will do anything just for a touch. Granted, they often pay with their souls, but why get technical?

But Seattle succubus Georgina Kincaid's life is far less exotic. Her boss is a middle-management demon with a thing for John Cusack movies. Her immortal best friends haven't stopped teasing her about the time she shape-shifted into the Demon Goddess getup complete with whip and wings. And she can't have a decent date without sucking away part of the guy's life. At least there's her day job at a local bookstore--free books; all the white chocolate mochas she can drink; and easy access to bestselling, sexy writer, Seth Mortensen, aka He Whom She Would Give Anything to Touch but Can't.

But dreaming about Seth will have to wait. Something wicked is at work in Seattle's demon underground. And for once, all of her hot charms and drop-dead one-liners won't help because Georgina's about to discover there are some creatures out there that both heaven and hell want to deny...

"What an incredible debut novel! Succubus Blues is exciting, witty, sexy, intriguing and had me captivated from the first page." --Cheyenne McCray, author of Seduced by Magic

My Review:
This book came to me highly recommended and I wasn't disappointed. Georgina Kincaid is a succubus that is not happy with the role she is supposed to be play. She is unhappy because she doesn't like taking life away from her victims. For that reason she only feeds off bad men and only takes enough of their life energy to survive. Most of all she hates the fact that she'll never have children or someone she can love in a long term relationship. Georgina is a very caring person and is surronded by friends she loves but other than that she finds herself alone. 
  Georgina works in a bookstore and is ecstatic when her favorite author is coming to do a book signing. When she meets the author he's nothing like she imagined. Throughout the book she manages to get herself  caught up in a love triangle that she can't act on because even with a kiss she can take some of their life away. She also has someone leaving her notes and killing immortals, which should be near impossible. So how does these murders relate to her well that's her biggest problem.
I was looking forward to reading this books because I've read her first Vampire Academy book and really  enjoyed it. She does not disappoint with this book. Her world building was great. Sometimes with Urban Fantasy I can get confused with so much going on but I didn't have that problem with this book. I was happy with the way everything turned out so far but I have to say that she ended the book with a lot of unfinished business. So I'm really going to be looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
I would recommend this book to readers that like Urban Fantasy. It did have some violence and did have a few explicit love scenes but nothing too extreme. The only reason I gave this book 4 stars instead of 5 is because I'm not a huge fan of urban fantasy and love triangles. Having said that I think that whoever reads this book will not be disappointed. It's time well spent. 


This review is also posted on The Romance Reviews website. Click here
 
 














4 comments:

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

i haven't read any of her adult books, but i love vampire academy!!

ps you won a book over at my blog :) Just emailed you about it!! congrats!

Magic Faerie said...

Great review Danielle!

I really enjoyed Succubus Blues, just read it a couple of months ago and am looking forward to the rest of the series.

Nat said...

I've read all five of the Georgina books and enjoyed them, but not as much as VA. VA is still my favorite! I feel sorry for Georgina though! I enjoyed your review.

brandileigh2003 said...

Thanks for the review. I also really liked Vampire Academy but have shied away from these for some reason.

Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Post a Comment

Each of my followers mean the world to me and I would love to hear from each and every one of you.
:)

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Estranged kit by Studio Flergs