Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Halloween Spooktacular Day 26



EXPLORING THE COUGAR ATTRACTION


I am so excited to be on this blog today, which happens to be the same day my novel, COUGAR HUNTING is being released by Siren Publication. As such, I could think of nothing better than discussing this subject of cougars in more detail.

The word cougar has only been around for a few years to describe the relationship of an older woman and a younger man. The word brings different reactions from various people. Some women hate the term, and others are amused. And like many shifts in attitude in America, older woman are coming much more out into the open to express their desires for younger men.

We could go into more detail as to why this is happening, but that will take much more room than what I have here. The research I have completed was actually a lot of fun. Interesting enough, in many cases the relationship happened because of other interest shared by the couples. It is often said that love knows no age differences.

Still, there are some women who make it a point to go after younger men. Exploring this can be fascinating. And since no two cases are they same, these differences are perfect for me to use in a series. I plan to write four novels in this MODERN COUGARS series.

I have three women who are best friends and members of what they call “the cougar pack”.  These women are all different which allows me to explore different aspects in each book. Since I never intended this to be a serious documentary, I use lots of humor to keep it flowing and hopefully entertaining.

To add to the plots of these series, I wanted to make the heroes a perfect match.  Well, maybe more than a perfect match. While the members of the cougar pack are in their late thirties, the three guys, who are also best friends, are in their early twenties. These guys are also strong alpha males, mature and have already made their mark on the world earning them their own fortunes.

So, why would these guys be interested in older women? Interestingly, and in contract to the same reasons pushing the cougar pack, they want maturity, woman who are successful, and most importantly, women who will not be after their money and their freedom. To them, these women are not looking for long term relationships.

I have written the first one in the series, but still doing research on the next three. With that said, I would love to hear what your thoughts are on this subject. I think this theme is here to stay in the media for a long time, and I’m looking forward to exploring it further while hoping to create some very interesting stories for my readers.

More information on me and my novels can be found on my blog www.authorbethgray.com
Beth Gray

8 comments:

miki said...

For me it's interesting to see how people have a tendancy to things cougars are bad women and such. They critize, are schoked but when it's teh opposite a older man with a young woman that seem perfectly normal to them even if the age difference is even worstlike 50/60years.

To me, as long as the relation is sincere i don't care be it older woman with young men or the opposite.In the same time, i admit that for me the relation is not so often sincere in the very high age difference, i afraid one want always something from the other without giving as much.


isabelle(dot)frisch(at)gmail(dot)com

Beth Gray said...

That is so true in that many couples have to work through the stereotypes out there, which is what my couple in this story has to do. At first they both embrace it as a stereotype and play with it until it turns serious. So, if you like exploring this you might enjoy the way I handled it. I hope it is a satisfying trip for everyone. I have three more stories in this series and hope to explore many aspects of these relationships.

Beth Gray

Carol L. said...

Sounds very interesting. Along the lines of Miki's answer that it doesn't seem to cause a ripple when it's an older man with a young girl. As long as two people go into a relationship with eyes open and hurt no one I think it's great. :)
Thanks for sharing Beth. GFC name is Lucky47.
Carol L
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

miki said...

Why not Beth at least you made me want to try to see how you did this so perhaps one day (are they going to be in print format or only ebook?)

isabelle(dot)frisch(at)gmail(dot)com

Beth Gray said...

Miki, Thank you very much. It is in e-book now and will be in print form around January. I think. On the Siren site you can click on my name and follow me, the system will automatically alert you when it goes to print.

Amy said...

I've always admired cougars because they are so sexy and confident. However, I hope they don't steal all the hot men away from us young women here! LOL :P

angeldream3[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Vivien said...

Cougars are really fun to read. I can live vicariously through them. lol


Vivien
deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

Texas Book Lover said...

Big cats of any kind are my favorite kind of shifter...there is something about them that is so sleek and sexy!

mmafsmith at gmail dot com

Post a Comment

Each of my followers mean the world to me and I would love to hear from each and every one of you.
:)

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Estranged kit by Studio Flergs