Friday, October 28, 2011

Halloween Spooktacular Day 28

FANGED AND FABULOUS

    I don’t know about you, but when I was a kid, vampires where the reason we hid stakes (or really sharp #2 pencils) under our beds and kept garlic nearby. (Okay, so it was double wrapped in cellophane and in the refrigerator, but trust me, I knew where it was).
    They were creepy and represented everything we never wanted to be.
    The last thing I wanted was to wake to something like that nibbling on my neck. Ack!
    Let’s not forget the werewolves that haunted our dreams. Those big ugly, hairy monsters that would rip us a part if we crossed their paths on a full moon. Everyone knew what silver bullets were for and true believers knew how to use them.
    Just look at that matted fur... talk about having a serious hygiene issue!! Not even "Mr. Clean" could get those stains out.

    So much has changed over the last decade or two and not just because a species of beautiful sparkly vampires were discovered lurking in the foggy haze of the northwestern United States. 
    No, our love affair with vampires and werewolves started way back when... Long, long ago… in a land far, far away.
    For me, it was when a fair haired vampire named Louis de Pointe du Lac, broke away from his sire, Lestat de Lioncourt, and told a curious writer all about his epic life story of love, betrayal, loneliness, and hunger in one very notorious interview.
    Ahh, to have been a maiden, helplessly captivated under the lustful spell of a sexy vampire… yes, I would have surrendered my virtue just to have been a snack… and so the romance began. 
     The dawn of the 21st century brought with it a revolutionary new take on all things "Paranormal" and thank goodness for that. It's not just aliens, shifters, and fanged creatures anymore.
     Now we have witches, fairies, gnomes and even zombies....wait? ZOMBIES???
Yep!! They have found their way into hearts as well. 
    Who'd a thunk it? Well those talented people behind the scenes who make this stuff up... WRITERS, of course!!
     I'm proud to count myself among that growing number of "out of the box" thinkers and can't wait to see what some of us dream up next. 
     As for me and most of the writers I know, I’m confident it will be something sexy. 

   Imagine a world without Alcide from HBO's True Blood.... rather not? Me either!!! The world NEEDS his kind of werewolf!! Tough, chivalrous, and ready to rescue any damsel in distress… Hurry, somebody tell me which line to stand in so I can start feigning distress!!!
    Fortunately we don’t have to imagine that cold, cruel world… it’ll be back next summer and I’m sure sexy weres, shifters, faeries, vampires and more even beings will be back as well.
   

    And can you imagine taking a trip to the grocery store WITHOUT seeing a shirtless Taylor Lautner (or any of the tanned Adonis's of his wolf pack) on the cover of a magazine while standing in the check-out line? No way!! Couldn't do it!! Gotta have 'em! 
    What would a fantasy be without a little paranormal eye candy? Pretty dull, that's for sure. At least mine would be anyway. 
    So, how did we survive centuries without these fanged delights? Who said we did? 
  
     If you take a closer look at some classic literature, there's always been a little somethin' somethin' stirring between the pages. 
     Even William Shakespeare had his own brand of faeries in "A Midsummer's Night Dream." Set in Athens, Greece, the comedy showed the lighter side paranormal activity.... quite a step from J.R.R. Tolkien's take on an even broader spectrum of paranormal/fantasy type entities from "Lord of the Rings"... wizards, hobbits, dwarfs, Elves (Oh, and not the cute and cuddly kind, mind you... I'm talking the tall, blond and sexy kind that only heartthrobs like Orlando Bloom could portray in the movie)  
    Yeah, those pointy ears kinda do it for me!! Not to mention his skilled aptitude with… ahem, a bow and arrow!
    How could anyone dream of saving Middle Earth without any of those guys? Not me, that’s for sure.
   

    I have no idea what the future holds for fangalicious creatures of the night, and to be quite honest, as long as the stories sizzle and the characters rock my world, I'll cross my fingers that a little "something wicked this way comes".... and hope that it's just in time for Halloween!!



Midnight Beckoning Blurb: (Released in November)

Ford Lenox, a natural born damphyr, waited three hundred years for the phenomenon of his birth to be repeated. Many had been conceived. Many had even been born. But, only a few made it to their twenty-first birthday. And, none shared the same requirements as he, to assume their rightful place at his side and become his queen.
Until now.
Lauren Neil was born three hundred years to the day after Ford’s birth, and it was no coincidence that he found her only days before her twenty-first birthday. Little did she know that the damphyr lurking beneath her human surface was about to be unleashed, prominently placing her on the throne to rule over damphyr and vampire alike. 
Lauren’s demonic sire slash father, Drago, an incubus, straight from the pits of hell, has other plans.
Can Ford fulfill the prophecy and save Lauren and their kind? Or will a new species be created to rule the world?
    Even a match made in heaven, may have to go through hell to survive!

Where author Robin Badillo can be found:
Blog-Sealed with a Kiss: http://www.robinbadillo.blogspot.com
Publisher-eXtasy Books: http://www.extasybooks.com

*Don't forget to stop by Book Lover's Hideaway to earn more entries for the grand prize.

12 comments:

miki said...

It's true our view on vapire and werewolf has changed. In my country is more recent and it's because of twilight more i think.Because it was a huge success and...a film. It still not really easy to find book of bit lit for example, yes tere are some but only 2years ago they started to appear. There are so many good books not translated yet, i really happy to be able to enjoy them.

Isabelle(dot)frisch(at)gmail(dot)com

S.Lira said...

What a gorgeous cover ma'am! Looking forward to the read!

Great success on your sales. :D

Loretta Wheeler said...

Well Robin..."I'm baaack";):) Seems like I'm following you all over the place this morning:)... I've always loved horror, paranormal, mystery, and all the gorgeous creatures that go with the genre. My all-time favorite is Interview with the Vampire. I think Anne Rice gave us one of the most intense looks inside the vampire's point of view I've ever read. She started us off in a new direction with these divinely complex creatures:) So many since then have led us further and further down the trail of darkness that I don't think many of us will ever come back;)
Great post gal! Your covers are lookin' SO good sugar-foot! Keep walkin' those dark trails...there's moonglow at the end;)
Lo

High Five Bakeshop said...

Thanks for your comment, Miki!
I hope my books are translated someday so they may be enjoyed much more vividly by being offered in a reader's native tongue. Vampires come in many shapes, sizes and behavior. Good and Evil are in a constant war and vampires are great avenues to present the battles in exciting new ways.
Rawiya, thank you for the comment and the constant support! You rock, my friend!!
Hugs!!

Anonymous said...

Great post, Robin!! Just loved it and Midnight beckoning looks great!

High Five Bakeshop said...

Thanks, Lo! I couldn't have asked for a better stalker today!! I agree about Interview with a Vampire. It may be the first instance where I deciphered the difference between good and evil... bad vamps -vs- good vamps and even vampires with, if not a soul, at least a conscience!
Hugs, honey bunch!!

High Five Bakeshop said...

Thank you so much, Tess! :-)

Vivien said...

I just love Brad Pitt in Interview...brings back some memories ;)

Vivien
deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

Amy said...

I love the Alcide from True Blood. And of the course the actor who plays him is hotter still.
I love stories about werewolves and big cat shifters (leopards, lions, panthers, etc.).

angeldream3[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Carol L. said...

Just looking at Alcide has me wondering how quickly I'd turn. lol If I were Vampire I'd have the biggest sweet Tooth going on. lol Thanks for sharing .And the opportunity.
Carol L
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

Texas Book Lover said...

So much really has changed...give me Alcide any day!

mmafsmith at gmail dot com

Rachel said...

Vamps and werewolves really have changed over the years =)

rachybee101@live.com.au

Post a Comment

Each of my followers mean the world to me and I would love to hear from each and every one of you.
:)

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Estranged kit by Studio Flergs