Sunday, October 9, 2011

Halloween Spooktacular Day 9


Authors: Various
Publisher: HarperCollins
Hardcover: 129 pages
Summary: (taken from Goodreads)
How scared can you get in only 30 seconds? Dare to find out with Half-Minute Horrors, a collection of deliciously terrifying short short tales and creepy illustrations by an exceptional selection of writers and illustrators, including bestselling talents Lemony Snicket, James Patterson, Neil Gaiman, R.L.Stine, Faye Kellerman, Holly Black, Melissa Marr, Margaret Atwood, Jon Scieszka, Brett Helquist, and many more. With royalties benefiting First Book, a not-for-profit organization that brings books to children in need, this is an anthology worth devouring. So grab a flashlight, set the timer, and get ready for instant chills!

Overall Rating: 4/5

If you’re looking for a book to read aloud to your kids (or your classroom!) during Halloween time, this is the one to pick up. It includes various genres, such as short stories, haikus, comics, limericks, etc. Also, with monsters under the bed, possessed toys, alien parents, ghosts, and a handful of other things, Half-Minute Horrors pretty much covers all the bases for creepiness.

The stories are short (I think the longest one was a little over 2 pages), yet incredibly entertaining. Yes, there are some that I didn’t like very much, but for the most part, I was chuckling my way through Half-Minute Horrors. If you read it to younger kids, there is a good chance some of these stories will scare them, so if you’re worried about giving your kid nightmares or something, be sure to look it over. However, I definitely recommend including this book in your Halloween celebrations.

*Don't forget to stop by Book Lover's Hideaway to comment on her Halloween posts to get extra entries into the grand prize at the end of the event.

14 comments:

Alyssa Nelson said...

Thanks so much for hosting this, Danielle! :)

Rachel said...

I hadn't heard of this book before. Hmmm, I have to add it to my TBR list. Thanks for sharing.

rachybee101@live.com.au

Life's Simple Pleasures said...

*hides* terror in 30 seconds! I am surprised to see James Patterson's name there. Didn't know he wrote horrors! Interesting!

reviewsbyabby at gmail dot com

miki said...

New discovery for me however i'm not so sure i want horror at the moment but i will keep it mind

thanks you

isabelle(dot)frisch(at)gmail(dot)com

Carol L. said...

I've never heard of this book and it has some interesting Authors involved. On my TRL for sure. Thanks for posting about it.
Carol L
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

I haven't heard about this book, but I want it! Thanks for putting in on my radar!

Jeremy said...

@ Alyssa,
You are very welcome it has been time consuming but I'm having a lot of fun.

Amy said...

This sounds like a great book for kids at Halloween. R.L. Stine was one of my very favorite authors as a kid. I loved his Goosebumps and Fear Street series.

angeldream3[AT]gmail[DOT]com

LorettaLynn//Temprance said...

This sounds like something dinfferent ,Gonna have to check it out:)
elliott2668(at)yahoo(dot)com

Arianne said...

interesting... i've yet to really celebrate halloween to its fullest

Vivien said...

This is a new one I'll have to check out :)

Vivien
deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

Na said...

Quick scares sounds good! I think it's also a great challenge for the author to create a short AND scary story.

Cambonified (at) yahoo (dot) com

Unknown said...

Awesome! Perfect for my niece.
phaedracamille@gmail.com

Texas Book Lover said...

I have never heard of this before...it sounds very interesting & fun read!

mmafsmith at gmail dot com

Post a Comment

Each of my followers mean the world to me and I would love to hear from each and every one of you.
:)

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Estranged kit by Studio Flergs