Monday, October 3, 2011

Halloween Spooktacular Day 3


 Spider’s Revenge
By Jennifer Estep
Publisher: Pocket
Publication Date: September 27, 2011
Genre: Urban Fantasy

Disclaimer: This is the fifth book in the series and there may be spoilers for previous books mentioned.
Old habits die hard. And I plan on mur­der­ing some­one before the night is through. 

Killing used to be my reg­u­lar gig, after all. Gin Blanco, aka the Spi­der, assassin-for-hire. And I was very good at it. Now, I’m ready to make the one hit that truly mat­ters: Mab Mon­roe, the dan­ger­ous Fire ele­men­tal who mur­dered my fam­ily when I was thir­teen. 

Oh, I don’t think the mis­sion will be easy, but turns out it’s a bit more prob­lem­atic than expected. The bitch knows I’m com­ing for her. So now I’m up against the army of lethal bounty hunters she hired to track me down. She also put a price on my baby sister’s head. Keep­ing Bria safe is my first pri­or­ity. Tak­ing Mab out is a close sec­ond. 

Good thing I’ve got my pow­er­ful Stone and Ice magic — and my irre­sistible lover Owen Grayson — to watch my back. This bat­tle has been years in the mak­ing, and there’s a chance I won’t sur­vive. But if I’m going down, then Mab’s com­ing with me...no mat­ter what I have to do to make that happen.
Goodreads Summary

Tangled Threads left off with our beloved assassin Gin declaring war on Ashland’s reining underworld crime boss and most powerful elemental to date. With a sixth book already scheduled for publishing, I began reading Spider’s Revenge with trepidation, fearing that it would be one of those dreaded “filler” novels. Gin would kill a few people, she and Owen would ogle each other for a bit, and Gin and Mab would have some sort of show down that ends in a stalemate. Exciting, yes, but we’d still be in the same position at the end of the book as we were in the beginning.
I am happy to report that this book is far from “filler.” Spider’s Revenge is the most action-packed book of the series to date. The book opens with Gin hanging off a roof in the middle of a snow storm and continues in the same vein throughout the whole story. She finds herself in all sorts of sticky situations that I was sure she wouldn’t be able to find her way out of. Mab is out for blood and has no qualms about removing any obstacles in her path - innocent or otherwise. It takes all of Gin’s considerable talent and training as an assassin and her growing elemental powers to fight back. It’s not just her life on the line anymore, and Gin won’t let anyone hurt the people she loves.
Gin is one of my favorite heroines. She never makes excuses for her chosen profession. She’s very much an “I am what I am” type of gal. Underneath her core of steel lies a tender heart. She hides it of course, but she is fierce in her devotion to her makeshift family. The book is mainly action scenes but there are a few sweet moments between the characters. Gin and Bria continue trying to awkwardly find common ground and move on from the past. And Owen. Sexy, sexy Owen. The moments between he and Gin are rare, but oh, so worth the wait.
Jennifer Estep has created such a dark and violent world for her characters. I nervously wondered if Gin and family would even make it all out alive. Mab is as evil as they come and when she and Gin meet it’s with the force of an avalanche and hurricane combined. I’ll steer clear of spoilers, but something epic happens between the two….
My Summary: Jennifer Estep continually delivers intense action and suspense with every new book in this series. Spider’s Revenge is, hands down, my favorite book so far. I finished it in a matter of hours and when I finally came up for air I had to sit for a minute and just absorb. If you haven’t started the series yet, Gin and her hodge-podge family will steal your hearts. If you’ve followed Gin from book one, then Spider’s Revenge will cement their place in your Hall of Fame. The writing is bloody and gory, but for some reason the books leave me happy.  I can’t wait for more.
My Rating: A+
by Cait

 Barbara
Twitter: @basiasbookshelf
*Don't forget to earn extra entries by heading over to Book Lover's Hideaway.

26 comments:

Jet said...

I haven't read anything by Jennifer Estep before, she is on my to-buy list, I better get cracking. Great review.

bookdevoteereviews(at)hotmail(dot)com

Rachel said...

I've heard some incredible things about this series even though I haven't read anything by Jennifer--guess I'll have to change that sometime =)

rachybee101@live.com.au

bittenbyromance said...

I am way behind. I have book one that's it. LOL

Nice review.

Unknown said...

I am reading Spider's Revenge right now and loving it!!! I am a big Gin Blanco fan. So much so, I want to be her when I grow up. LOL!

I enjoyed reading your review because most of what you said, I completely agree with.

Happy Reading and Blogging,
Laurielu

LorettaLynn//Temprance said...

Im loving the post,Your making me want to go out and get it even more,I love her books!!
Thank you for sharing!!
elliott2668(at)yahoo(dot)com

Cait said...

Jet - Thanks! She really is a great author. She has a YA series out as well that's truly excellent! I hope you get to read her books soon.

Rachel - I highly encourage anything written by this author. Amazing stuff!

Laurie - I know the feeling. So many series out there to keep up with. This one is worth the time though!

Laurielu - I'm excited that you're reading it now! Sounds like you're loving it as much as I did..

Temperance - It's totally worth the 8 bucks! And I'm a cheapskate, so that's saying something. ;-)

Anne said...

I love this series, glad to see the great review.

acm05atjuno.com

miki said...

i'ven't read anything by Jennifer Estep so far but i've one on my whish list and this review cement my will to try it

isabelle(dot)frisch(at)gmail(dot)com

June M. said...

I have not read Jennifer Estep's book either. I am slowly trying to get caught up on so many great authors and series.
manning_j2004 at yahoo dot com

Unknown said...

I have been trying to win this book on a couple of sites (all giveaways seem to be over now though)...I am interested in reading them. So many good books out right now!
phaedracamille@gmail.com

cheryl c said...

I love the cover!
castings at mindspring dot com

Amy said...

I have yet to read Spider's Revenge but Elemental Assassin is one of my very favorite series. I also love the relationship between Owen and Gin. I wish there were more scenes with them together! I also wish that Donovan Caine will make a brief appearance to give Gin some closure (and he should show some groveling!). Maybe that will happen in a future book?

angeldream3[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Denise Z said...

I have had this series on my wishlist forever. I think it sounds great. Thanks you for sharing about it today :)

Vivien said...

I've been meaning to start this series for forever!

Vivien
deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

donnas said...

Great series. I just got my copy today. Looking forward to starting it.

bacchus76 at myself dot com

Unknown said...

This sounds like a great read. Thanks for the review.
marlenebreakfield(at)yahoo(dot)com

Na said...

I have this series on my wishlist! I'm looking forward to it.

Cambonified (at) yahoo (dot) com

Unknown said...

I recently read book one od Jennifer Estep's series and I loved it!

anniech85(at)gmail(dot)com

Carol L. said...

I haven't read any of Jennifer's book yet but I loved what I read in your review so I now have a new series to add to my TRL. Thanks for the review.I'm looking forward to reading this series.
Carol L
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

Carol L. said...

I haven't read any of Jennifer's book yet but I loved what I read in your review so I now have a new series to add to my TRL. Thanks for the review.I'm looking forward to reading this series.
Carol L
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

Life's Simple Pleasures said...

Another author I have seen around yet not read. The series does sound interesting though so am going to check it out!

reviewsbyabby at gmail dot com

Sheery said...

Oh, this sounds really good!

Arianne said...

OOh I just won this book! It is yet to be put in my TBR list, but it will be soon!
email: cruz042 at csusm dot edu

jfort357 said...

This book sounds intriguing!!! Adding it to my wish list on my Nook!!! :-)

jfort357(at)bellsouth(dot)net

latishajean said...

I can't wait to read this book love them !Great review thanks for sharing!
tishajean@ charter.net

Texas Book Lover said...

This is another series I have on my TBR list...really hoping to get to it soon. There are so many great books out there now it is hard to choose what to read!

mmafsmith at gmail dot com

Post a Comment

Each of my followers mean the world to me and I would love to hear from each and every one of you.
:)

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Estranged kit by Studio Flergs