Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Halloween Spooktacular Day 4


Short Scary Story by Candace  (Based on a real life story)

It was one of those blustery fall days where the chill in the air made it feel like winter wouldn't be too far behind.  It had the feel of Halloween but Halloween was still far off.  It was, however, Friday the 13th.  And it felt like Friday the 13th.  You know, just spooky, like.  I could hear the wind whipping through the trees.  I could hear branches creaking and crackling and over it all I heard the three kids I was baby sitting squabbling.  I was eager to get them to bed so I could watch a movie before the parents got home.  So I quickly prepared them and got them sent off after a nice (not spooky) bedtime story.  Once they were settled in I clicked on the TV.  I wasn't prepared for what I found.  Scary movie after scary movie.  Suddenly I realized I wasn't clicking anymore.  I was unable to click as I watched the horror of Halloween (who knows which number) enfold before me.  I wanted to click away, I knew I was going to be terrified.  I had hours before the parents would be home.  I didn't want to spend it terrified.  But I couldn't, I just couldn't click away!  Suddenly every sound around me made me jump.  Was that the door?  A scratch at a window?  No, just my overactive imagination.  Quickly I clicked away only to land on another horror movie, click click, nope- not a thing on!  Next thing I know I'm back at Halloween (who knows what number) and once again I'm unable to look away.  I repeat this for the next hour, sitting in terror in the only chair in the living room that faces every door, window and nook and cranny.  But this time when I 'hear' a door it sounds different.  My eyes frantically search when I see movement.  It's the mirror by the back door.  The house is a split level at the back door.  I can't see the door, but I can see the stairs that go down to the landing.  Then you turn and there's a door and the stairs then go down to the basement.  I can see the stairs that go down to the basement because there's a mirror on the landing.  So as my entire body freezes in terror my eyes are glued to that mirror.  Sure enough, suddenly I can see someone!  They are standing in the stairway on the set that goes to the basement and they haven't seen me yet.  My body is frozen and my mind is frantic.  All I can think about is getting hacked to bits.  I know I'm not hiding in a closet, he'll hack it with his ax!  I can run to the front door, which is right by me but then I'm leaving the children behind!  
He hasn't seen me yet, it feels as though hours have passed while in reality I'm sure it's only moments.  The girl in the movie is hiding in the closet now.  But no!  She's not safe!  What do I DO?  Suddenly there's movement.  He's seen ME in the mirror!  I get ready to scream but the door is thrown open and he's gone.  It takes me a few moments to unfreeze and once I do I'm terrified he'll be back.  I quickly call the police and then call the parents and within 10 minutes (VERY long minutes) there's a house full of people.  
I survived that experience but it certainly ruined any desire I may have ever had for horror movies.  I don't want to hear them, see them or even see the previews.  Keep anything horror (on screen) far away from me please!  However, I can read some horror.  I'm convinced that music in the movies just makes everything WAY scarier.
Are you a big fan of horror?  Do you like to read horror and/or watch horror?  Have you had any experiences like mine?

PS. They never caught the guy who broke in but years later (I was 14 when this happened) I'm pretty sure I met him.  I could be wrong, but he sure looked like him!

Thanks for having me on!

*Don't forget to stop by the http://booklover'shideaway.blogspot.com

17 comments:

Rachel said...

I love horror movies and anything spooky, but I'd certainly never wanna experience something like that. I think it'd make me a bit hesitant too, lol.

Great story--thanks for popping by =)

rachybee101@live.com.au

Anonymous said...

Okay, if that every happened to me, it would have ruined my desire to ever babysit again. And the horror movie issue would have driven me off the deep end! Jordan

miki said...

I don't like horror movie at all....and i agree the music make it all worse....sometimes my brother is watching the tv and a opening start....too sacry for me i go to my room....(and believe me....the music without the picture is a hell worse)

i happy he diddn't do anything to you or the kids

isabelle(dot)frisch(at)gmail(dot)com

Carol L. said...

I'm happy to hear he ran out. That would have cured me of ever babysitting again. :) And as I'm reading your post I almost fell off the chair because my bedroom door slammed by itself from the wind and scared me to death.I don't watch horror movies. And I stopped reading horror books. The Shining was it for me. I can't see scaring myself to death. lol
Carol L
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

Unknown said...

I am not a big fan of horror movies. I have to watch a children's movie or cartoon immediately after them when my husband wants to watch. He always wants to watch them in the dark, right before bed. I have nightmares all night if I go to bed after something like that. As for someone breaking in, nope. I thought it happened once and I called the cops from the bedroom, but it turned out to be the neighbor throwing a glass. Thanks goodness!
phaedracamille@gmail.com

Sheery said...

Oh my gosh - that is such a scary story! Not only would that cure me from horror flicks - I probably wouldn't want to be alone ever again! So glad the guy just left but oh, so creepy.

Vivien said...

Wow, what a great story. I would have been traumatized!!

Vivien
deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

LorettaLynn//Temprance said...

I enjoy horror movies quit alot,In books it's ok.It all depends if thats what im looking for.Parnormal is mostlikly what ill pick in a book.Which can be kind like horror.
Great post
elliott2668(at)yahoo(dot)com

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing. I never believed in Friday the 13th and I was lucky enough to never have anything bad happen. Though there was one Friday the 13th when I got two paper cuts on the same day...

angeldream3[AT]gmail[DOT]com

DarkBloodyVamp said...

OMG that would have prevented me from being alone in the house and babysitting. I don't watch horror movies because my imagination starts going wild and any dark part of the house freaks me out.

So glad the guy ran out but freaky if it was the same guy you ran into years later.

redfirewood888(AT)yahoo(DOT)ca

Arianne said...

Horror and I don't add up... I'm easily frightened, esp with books because books are more vivid.. yikes!
email: cruz042 at csusm dot eud

Denise Z said...

Thank you for the spooky today :)

dz59001[at]gmail[dot]com

jfort357 said...

WOW!!! That was a SUPER scary story!!! :-O Being it was based on a true story, makes it all the more frightening!! I enjoy scary movies & stories!!! Glad all was ok at the end!!! That experience would definitely freak me out!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Na said...

*Shudder* I actually love scary/ghost stories especially if it's based on real life except I wouldn't want it to happen to me!

Cambonified (at) yahoo (dot) com

Life's Simple Pleasures said...

EEEEKKKKKKSSSSS!!! I am a real chicken when it comes to horror. I'd probably be that girl that hides in the closet. Or I'd faint and get *gulp* hacked. *TOUCHES WOOD*

reviewsbyabby at gmail dot com

latishajean said...

Thanks for sharing like some scary stories and I watch horror movies sometimes!
tishajean@ charter.net

Texas Book Lover said...

I am so not a horror movie fan...but my teenage daughter LOVES them! I send her (and her friends) to the other room to watch them.

mmafsmith at gmail dot com

Post a Comment

Each of my followers mean the world to me and I would love to hear from each and every one of you.
:)

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Estranged kit by Studio Flergs