Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Review: "The Ruins of Lace" by Iris Anthony



"The Ruins of Lace"
Author: Iris Anthony
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: 304
ISBN: 9781402268038
Source: Publisher in exchange for a honest review.
Published: October 1, 2012
Author's Website: http://www.irisanthony.com

Buy Links: Amazon

Goodreads Blurb:
Lace is a thing like hope.
It is beauty; it is grace.
It was never meant to destroy so many lives .

The mad passion for forbidden lace has infiltrated France,
pulling soldier and courtier alike into its web. For those who want the best, Flemish lace is the only choice, an exquisite perfection of thread and air. For those who want something they don’t have, Flemish lace can buy almost anything––or anyone.

For Lisette, lace begins her downfall, and the only way to atone for her sins is to outwit the noble who now demands the impossible. To fail means certain destruction. But for Katharina, lace is her salvation. It is who she is; it is what she does. If she cannot make this stunning tempest of threads, a dreaded fate awaits.

The most lucrative contraband in Europe, with its intricate patterns and ephemeral hope, threatens to cost them everything. Lace may be the deliverance for which they all pray...or it may bring the ruin and imprisonment they all fear.


My Review:
What a incredible book. I normally don't venture far from reading romance but when I got the invite to review this one saw the cover and read the blurb I thought I would give it a try. I didn't expect the amazing adventure I was going to be taken on. This book is from the point of view of seven characters one even being a dog. The story tells you how these seven characters lives have been ruined for what? lace? I know it sounds strange but its based on history and some of the horrific things done in the name of lace will astound you. The story is definitely very dark and gloomy but so entertaining. The author does an outstanding job of taking seven very different people and weaving their lives together just like lace. I would highly recommend this book to everyone to read. I think anyone would be able to see the beauty behind the authors writing and find pleasure in reading the tales of seven ruined lives and their struggle for worth. Being a lover of history could help obviously but this is a must read.

Overall Rating:



2 comments:

Gina @ Hott Books said...

Luv that cover!!

Miss yoU!

Anonymous said...

Hello this is kind of of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get advice from someone
with experience. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Feel free to surf to my blog - roofing Melbourne ()

Post a Comment

Each of my followers mean the world to me and I would love to hear from each and every one of you.
:)

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Estranged kit by Studio Flergs